At the very mention of Portugal, it’s hard not to think of the sun, the sea, good food, wine, happy people, surfing, and adventure. It is one of the top destinations to visit in Europe.
If you are planning a trip to Portugal anytime soon, it’s good to have in mind that this country is introducing new visa requirements as of 2023 for certain countries outside Europe’s Schengen Area, which includes nationals of the USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Japan, and around 60 other countries.
Here’s what you need to know in order to apply for your ETIAS Visa Waiver:
What is ETIAS
The ETIAS or European Travel Information and Authorisation System is a new type of electronic authorization that certain travelers will need to enter the European Union. Since this travel pass will be required in 2023, the applications will go live in late 2022, but it’s always good to be aware of the new requirements when planning the upcoming trips. ETIAS will be required for travelers outside of the Schengen Area, who currently can travel to Portugal without a visa. For obtaining an ETIAS only the online application form has to be filled in and it takes only about 10 minutes, which makes it easy and affordable.
Who is eligible for ETIAS
As already mentioned, there are 60 eligible countries for ETIAS Portugal.
Above all, the ETIAS travel pass also allows entering any other of the 26 nations that make up the European Union’s Schengen Area. For citizens of the 26 countries that comprise the Schengen Area, there’s no need to apply for an ETIAS pass or any other kind of travel authorization to visit Portugal.
Travel Requirements & Validity
This travel pass is only valid for visits related to:
- Medical treatment
ETIAS Visa application requirements are very basic and simple. These are a few simple things you need to do for the application process:
- Prepare basic personal details from your passport to fill into the online form
- Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the first day you plan to arrive in Portugal
- Make sure you have a valid e-mail address which you can access
- You will be asked to answer some medical and security questions which are required for the EU’s security database
- The payment is done online, which means you’ll need to prepare debit or credit card information or you can provide payment via PayPal
Regarding the validity, the ETIAS travel pass should be used within 3 years, staying up to 90 days in the 180-day period. This visa allows multiple entries within the validity period, without any limits. Moreover, ETIAS for Portugal allows traveling to other Schengen Area member countries, which is great because it opens up a whole new range of possibilities and adventures.
Application Process & Price
Applying for ETIAS is designed to be done in few easy steps, through an online form. The list of required details to be prepared for application:
- A personal, valid email address
- Personal information, including first and last name, sex (m/f), and a phone number
- The information displayed on your passport: nationality, the country you were born in, country and address of current residence, passport number, date of issue, and expiry date
- Detailed medical and security information
- The exact, official name of the visa is required. In this case, it’s: the ETIAS authorization Portugal
- The date when you plan to enter Portugal
- A statement that says what will be the first country you plan to visit once the visa is approved – Portugal or some other
The cost of ETIAS will consist of the fee required by the European authorities plus some additional administration charges and processing fee to obtain the visa, depending on how the speed and urgency of the visa. Regarding payment, the applicants will need to pay the amount by credit or debit card in order to finalize their application process and receive an approved ETIAS visa waiver. The payment screen will be very familiar to those who are used to paying online.
If you still have any questions or doubts, read more about the ETIAS Portugal application, requirements, validity, and process of applying, and enjoy your trip to sunny and amazing Portugal!